Sunday, July 7, 2019

Researching The Founders: Martine Collette


I've been eager to start my next project for months now. There were some things holding it up at times, but I can now say that I am working on my second book! Tentatively titled The Founders, each chapter would provide an intimate glimpse into the life-altering moment that resulted in the development of a primate sanctuary – and ultimately, the saving of many lives.  

Researching this book involves interviewing sanctuary founders all over the country. Partial funding was generously provided by New England Anti-Vivisection Society, for which I am extremely grateful.

My first trip was the shortest - to Wildlife Waystation, on the outskirts of Los Angeles in Sylmar, CA, where I interviewed its founder, Martine Colette.



I can't share many details (guess you'll have to read the book!) but I can say that it was definitely not a normal day for me - full of expansive mountain views, ancient cacti, and exotic species.


Some of Martine's extensive collection of memorabilia: casts of hands of different primate species.

I look forward to sharing news of the trips to follow! I have much to do but look forward to every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment