Sunday, October 6, 2013

Book signing at V Organic Cafe's Autumnfest

Saturday, October 5th started out a bit rainy, but eventually cleared up into a beautiful day - perfect for the Autumnfest celebration at V Organic Cafe in Upton, Massachusetts.


The cafe is run by Veronica Ramos, an old volunteering colleague of mine from my days at the fledgling New England Primate Sanctuary. Veronica, a longtime vegan and animal activist, finally was able to combine her love of animal-friendly baking and art into a beautiful Art-Deco inspired space that is home to not only a cafe, but also a retail space and art gallery.

And of course, Monkey Business will be sold in her retail space!


I loved being able to finally visit the cafe and try her goodies, and the Autumnfest celebration was adorable. I was able to re-connect with the founder of the New England Primate Sanctuary, now called the New England Primate Conservancy, and I met a mother-daughter team who make pet collars and donate all their profits to saving street dogs in Thailand. Check out their company, For The Love of Shallots, and their goods here. I think I know what my dog is getting this holiday season!

For it being a smaller event, I spoke with a surprising number of people about my book and sold more copies than I had expected. I think my favorite customer was either the twelve-year-old girl who was a voracious reader and interested in animal rights, or the older gentleman who bought a copy for his wife, and told me as he was leaving that he had been a vegan for 40 years! He and his wife then danced to the music of the band that was playing, even though nobody else was dancing. So cute.


I had a great day meeting some very interesting people.

Next on the agenda: plan another book signing!


No comments:

Post a Comment