Friday, September 13, 2019

Researching The Founders: Gloria Grow

At this point in my career, I've visited just about every reputable primate sanctuary in North America, but there was one I hadn't been to: Fauna Foundation. Fauna Foundation is in Quebec and was the first to accept HIV-positive laboratory chimpanzees in the late '90's. They also care for a number of chimpanzees retired from sign language studies, as well as some monkeys and various farm animals.


I had to go to the sanctuary for a work meeting this month, so I was more than happy when Gloria Grow, its founder and director, agreed to meet with me the following day so I could interview her.


The sanctuary is lovely - a true paradise with expansive views and pastoral settings.


I think the most memorable moment was seeing chimpanzees using sign language to communicate with caregivers. In this case, it was chimpanzee Tatu asking for an apple, and then signing "cool" when she was able to enjoy her apple. I knew chimpanzees were capable of this, of course, but seeing it with my own two eyes was something else.


I'm so grateful to not only spend time in these places, but to promote their work and lifesaving missions. If everyone lived like The Founders, the world would be a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment